Monday, December 3, 2012

December 3, 2012


Hey fam,
another good week here in Shengavit has come and gone. It's hard to believe that it's already December. I've already been with Elder Lake for about 2 months, and it has just flowed by. Time flies when you're having fun. We were able to find a decent Indian restraunt here in the city, and we tried it out this last week. It was really good, and a really good change of pace, but when I got the bill I almost died. And I didn't even get full! Oh well, we still made it to the end of the month. I also had my first good hamburger in forever last week. They're so easy to get in America! I just took them for granted. Later we also got fed this huge meal by a member family we visited, which was super good. And they wouldn't let us stop eating! Armenians are kind of like that though, if you don't eat their food they think that you didn't like it and get offended. They made us dolma, which is basically just meat and rice wrapped in a cabbage leaf. I really want to learn how to make it. Speaking of cooking, there are a few recipes that I would like you to send me if you could. I want to be able to do a good Christmas breakfast. So if you can send me the recipes for Buttermilk syrup, Swedish Pancakes, Orange Julius, Ginger Bread, Pumpkin bread, Eggnog, and a good chocolate chip cookie recipe that would be awesome. Oh, and if you haven't sent off a package with the Tolmans yet there are a few things that would be great if you could send: Nutmeg, that cranberry sauce stuff that you make the cran butter out of on Christmas, and another good thing of cinnamon. The cinnamon here isn't very good. The Armenian bread is really good, but other than that I think America has it beat. Oh, except for the fruit. Armenian fruit is really good. The cheese is super salty, and not a lot of missionaries like it. I don't mind it. The milk isn't very good, and it kind of tastes like the cheese. And it goes bad in like 2 days. As for meat, they basically live off of this stuff called yershik, which is basically like summer sausage.
The Christmas Spirit is settling in nicely. We put up our Christmas tree the first second that we had, and been listening to Christmas music since the beginning of November. The Armenians are even starting to get somewhat into it, and you see some Christmas decorations every so often. They have a Christmas tree up in the square outside of our house, and they're supposed to be putting up a huge one up in Republican Square in Center. As for celebrating, I hear that they don't really do much for Christmas, but New Years is huge here. Everyone gets drunk. And as for exchanging gifts, I have no idea. I guess I'll probably find out.
You gave in and bought a fake tree?! I'm so disappointed...
Mom, I'm sorry about your aunt. I hope that Grandma is doing ok.
Our investigators are doing pretty good. xxxx should actually be baptized on the 15, so that should be really cool. We moved it forward a week so it would be before the transfer. We don't know if either of us will be here after that. We have a ton of missionaries going out and a ton of new missionaries coming in, so it should be a pretty big one. She's doing really well though, and now we're just trying to get her ready for a baptismal interview. Her mom,  still won't commit, so we're working a lot with her as well. We know they would do a lot better if they progressed together. We also picked up a new investigator this week, and she's awesome. She really has a desire to figure out if this is all true. We've only me with her twice, and so far she's been really accepting.
Happy Birthday Mom! I'm so sorry that I didn't say that last week. I hope that you had a really good one!
Well it's good to hear that everyone is doing good over there. I'm never good at emailing, because I always space what would be good to talk about. Maybe I just need to make a list. Oh, and I promise that I'll send some pictures next week. I don't have my camera with me, or else I would do it now. I need to get better at taking pictures as well, I know that I'm going to want them later.
I love you all, and I hope you have a great week.
Love,
Elder Pack

No comments:

Post a Comment